Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Despair

Despair - the utter loss of hope; a cause of hopelessness; to lose all hope or confidence -


Everyone, whether if be spiritual, personal, financial, marital or any other crisis, has felt some sense of despair at least once.

Even the Son of God felt despair.

In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus felt despair and anguish. After a wonderful Passover feast, Jesus took a few of his friends to the garden and asked them to pray with him and watch him. There he began praying so intently and fervently that he began sweating blood.  Instead of praying with him, they - Peter, James, and John -  fell asleep. Jesus tried waking them a few times but they would only stir.

I'm sure Jesus  felt so lonely and hopeless. He knew that what would happen next. He knew that he was called, the very next day, to give his life for these friends who could not even wake to spend time in prayer. I'm sure he agonized and despaired over the next few hours and days. He knew his friends would betray him. They would deny him. They would doubt him. At that moment, I'm sure he felt complete and total despair.


Next, Judas walked right up to Jesus and kissed him on the cheek. The soldiers arrested him. The plan to cleanse our sins was in full motion. 


Jesus went before Pilot and watched as those who had welcomed him just earlier called for him to be crucified - to die on a cross. To die next to true criminals. 

He walked up a mountain, carrying a cross with a crown of thorns on his head being whipped continually. 


He was nailed to the cross and as he stood nailed to the cross, He felt abandoned by his Heavenly father. He, I'm sure, felt the ultimate despair and hopelessness. 


In Matthew 27:45-46, it says, "Now from the sixth hour darkness fell upon all the land until the ninth hour. 46And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"

I have felt despair. I have felt hopelessness many times. But I can assure you that I have never felt as agonizing - lonely- despair as I'm sure that Jesus felt in the garden or on the cross. Yet Jesus prevailed and rose just a few days later. Death had no handle on my Lord. My friends, despair has no handle on us. Though we may feel despairing, the sun will rise in the morning. 

The Bible has so many good verses about despair and God's promises. If you are in the darkness of despair please know that light is found in the true Light, Jesus Christ. 

2 Corinthians 4:8-9 - We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed.

 

Philippians 4:19  -And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

 

Revelation 21:4 - He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away. 

 

2 Corinthians 12:9 - But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 

 

Psalm 91:1-16 - He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day....

 

Romans 15:13 -May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope. 

 


My prayer is that you find hope and peace in your time of despair. Hold tight to His love, protection and promises... 

No comments: