Pages

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Day One of our Journey - The Day of Rest



I guess I should begin by making sure that I communicate clearly. This is now my journal. A way to look back and reflect. A way to see blessings and some not so great decisions. A time to learn. This is MY and my family's learning. Therefore, when I write posts, I am writing for my family and my opinions of my life. I would never tell anyone how to live. My hope is that through my writings, you will be stretched and maybe find some new ways of doing things. If you don't, that's fine too. You can just sit back and call me crazy. It's OK, I have already heard it a few times. :)

How fitting it is to start this journey the day before the Lord's day. A day to worship the Creator of all things, relax and reflect. A time to rejoice in praise and rest while rejuvenating our mind, body and soul. It is fitting because it's the foundation, the backbone one might say, of setting up a productive and God-filled week. A week of hard work and staying on track. A day to be thankful for the blessings that abound.

The Sabbath has been abandoned. We fill our schedules and we run, run and run some more. If the Lord of Lords, the God of the Universe, had to take a break after six days of hard work, why would I think that I would not? Am I super woman? Do I have more strength to continue? God did not take the day to rest because He was tired. I really don't know that He gets tired. He's amazing and perfect. I think He took the day to reflect and look back on what he achieved during the days before.

The first step in our journey is to embrace the Sabbath. Go back to how the Lord would like it.

I will be working very hard (and it will take some preparation) to not cook, clean, use the computer or internet and abstain from places in which someone has to work on the Sabbath. Is that extreme? Some might say it is. However, as you can probably tell, I am an extreme person.

I also know that for some, the Sabbath is not Sunday. For that, I totally understand. Find a day during the week that works for you. A day where you can look back at the six days before and know you've done your best work. A day where you can put everything aside but your love for your Father and family. Relish the moments. Enjoy the day. Relax.


Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Work six days and do everything you need to do. But the seventh day is a Sabbath to God, your God. Don’t do any work—not you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your servant, nor your maid, nor your animals, not even the foreign guest visiting in your town. For in six days God made Heaven, Earth, and sea, and everything in them; he rested on the seventh day. Therefore God blessed the Sabbath day; he set it apart as a holy day. 
                  - Exodus 20: 8 - 11 (Message)

What about you? What does the Sabbath look like for your home? 

No comments: