Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Seeds to Starters...

In lieu of Earth Day, I am posting about starting a garden. Now if I have to be completely honest I will tell you that this is the first year this has ever worked for me, BUT it did.

I decided this year to be frugal and began my tomato, pepper, broccoli, and herb starts from seed. I have tried this is the past and it was a very daunting task. This year I came up with a better way to go about this. I started all my plants in egg cartons. The spaces were just big enough to allow slow and proper growth. I then transplanted them into over sized Dixie Cups. Instead of over watering them, I used a spray bottle and misted them every morning and evening.


I am so excited about how well the plants turned out. So using egg cartons not only made my plants grow well, but it also reused an item that most people just through away! (Yes, I am patting myself on the back right now... ;) )



Here are the first tomato plants to pop up in the egg carton.

Here is one of my two tables of starts.


My PLANTS now.


All my jars just sitting ready to have yummy home-grown fruits and veggies in them!

Our garden before anything was planted... Now everything is in the ground! YIPPEE!

So for those of you who are unsure how to begin a garden but know it is something you want to do. My tip for you would be to start your seeds in egg cartons! Happy gardening!







No comments: