Pages

Monday, September 21, 2009

What Does Your Home Say About You?


This week I would like to dedicate all my posts to families. Right now I want to insure you that I am by no-means a "know-it-all" in any of these areas, but I would like to share with you things I have learned.

Over the past week, I have been thinking about my home and what people think when they come to our front door. When my husband and I first got married, I really worried about our home looking like "a kid" lives there. I wanted everything to be put away in a cubby-hole and not seen. This was a b.i.g struggle for me. I wanted Dylan to be able to play with this toys when he wanted to (and put them back) but I always had to get them out because he never knew where I stuck them.

As the years have progressed I have some-what meloded out. I now want people to come to my home and see love and life. I want them to feel the aroma of Christ and know that he takes up residence not only in our hearts, but in our home. The Lord's presence of the Lord that is most important to me. He is in everything I do, everything I say, and everything I hope for. He is my all. The One I pray to please, the One I yearn to know, and the One I yearn to show others to.

A family is but an earlier Heaven.... - John Bowring

I want people to feel welcomed and feel like I was just waiting to invite them in and share some love. Now I am going to tell you right now, hospitality is not my spiritual gift. I have turned into a hermit of sorts. I like my space and I like it the way I like. (Does that make sense or do I just sound down right crazy? If I sound crazy, that's fine because I AM! :) ) So this is definitely NOT in my comfort zone, but I feel called to open my home in a loving manner.

Here's a picture of my living room/back room... Now I'll ask you... Can you tell this is a home of children?




See that little, blond-headed, cutie?!?

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I struggle with hospitality as well. I went from being a perfectionist teen/young adult to having three kids and a house that looks like a tornado went through. It is very difficult for me knowing that everything isn't in it's place ALL the time and I actually get all panicky when the door bell rings because oh my goodness there are toys and books everywhere!!
I have been under a great deal of conviction lately about opening up my home, BEING the church and building relationships. It's definitely outside my hermit comfort zone to invite people in, but I really feel like that's what being the church means. LOVING ON PEOPLE. Doing life together.
Your living room looks lovely. Life a room where much fun is had and many memories are made. :)