Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Think for Myself Thursday: Cloth Diapers

Keeping my post from yesterday in mind, I decided to come up with a day in which I share with you one of my crazy/not normal passions or views.



I declare this day Think for Myself Thursday. I am super excited to share with you some of my passions with you.



One of the things that I am so passionate about is cloth diapering. When I was on bed rest with Lincoln I started reading a book about "Green" living and how much our everyday activities affect our Earth without even knowing it.


Diapers is one of the easiest ways to damage our plant but it also one of the easiest to change.

I never knew how much I would love cloth diapering.

So I want to share with you a few misconceptions about cloth diapering in my opinion:

Disposable diapers do not really hurt the environment. Here is just a quick statistic for you. Every baby uses at least 6000 diapers before potty training. This is equivalent to approximately four to five trees, 325kg of plastic waste, and 1 ton of landfill per baby.

Cloth diapering is more work. It does take a little work to first learn how to maneuver putting on a cloth diaper while a child is wiggling, but I think putting any kind of diaper on a wiggly child is hard. If you begin cloth diapers from the start by the time the baby is a toddler, cloth diapering is just as simple as disposable diapers.

It's just as expensive. It is expensive at first. We spent $130 at the start, however we have not spent anymore money. Can you do the math? And yes I know you have to do laundry, but when thrown in with our normal family laundry, we did see a difference in our utility cost.

It's disgusting. Aren't all diapers disgusting?!? Yes, it is a little more work and nastiness disposing of the contents, but you get over it.



So this is the unveiling of my supplies. I took a break from cloth diapering when I heard how uncool it was. Now I am back into it! Yippee!!



My supplies: cloth diapers on bottom (We choose to not go fancy. We want a large and we don't want to worry about colors and styles and stuff!) are the cloth diapers. On the top left are snappies. Snappies take the place of diaper pins. They are awesome! And finally on the right, are the velcro outer diaper covers (once again very plain, but that's how I like them!).

In this container, on the left side there are cloth diaper wipes and on the left are diaper pins.




This are my containers stacked in the living room.

The library book bag sits in front of it to divert attention.


Lincoln modeling his cloth diaper.


I just LOVE how he sits!


Moves with him.


TaDa! I'm a big boy.

And this one is on here just because he is so darn cute!

2 comments:

Michaela Dunn Leeper said...

Yup, he is a cutie!

Courtney said...

Who told you cloth isn't cool?! Psshhh... and a nursery wreaking of perfumey Diaper Genie that needs changing and massive blowouts because sposies don't hold worth a darn... those things are cool?? I think cloth rocks! It's also very cool that your little guy is kickin' it old school with his prefolds and pins! I tried so hard to love prefolds, but I can't fold to save my life. I have a dear friend that makes the me the BEST AI2s in the whole world. I <3 my(I mean my baby's)diapers!