Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Just About That Time...

I am getting excited because it is about time to start gardening and canning and freezing- Just Preserving. I love growing, taking care, and preserving food for my family. It saves us a ton of money and I love knowing what my family is putting into their precious mouths. It is a lot of work but there is no better feeling than when you are sitting in your house, looking out windows at the snow, and eating corn that you worked so hard for in the summer. It is the most rewarding feeling. So my frugal tip for this week is start a garden, it doesn't matter how big or small, and preserve some food to keep your family healthy and your grocery bill down. For more frugal tips go to Biblical Womanhood.

4 comments:

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

Gardening/preserving is one of my favorite things to do. I totally agree that it is a lot of work--but definitely worth it all in the end!

I do a Finding Freedom Friday series, and next week we are going over cutting grocery costs--feel free to link up. There might just be a giveaway involved. :)

Blessings-
Phoebe

Unknown said...

I hope to start this year! I have had a small garden (usually pots on the porch) for the past few years, but this year I would like to try square foot gardening.
Toni
http://thehappyhousewife.com

jazzib said...

i am gardening for the first time this year! i rented an organic plot through our park district.. 17'x15'. i am very excited for the same reasons you mention.

there is just no better way to be frugal and healthy

The Prudent Homemaker said...

You can also canduring the winter! If citrus is on sale for a great price, you can can that! The same thing goes for potatoes.

Winter is also a great time to pressure can some beans, as well as meat that goes on sale.