Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Most Important...

This week as I look at my plans for our home, I have decided to focus not on homemaking, but on enjoying my children.

I have been so wrapped up in trying to "get ahead", which is really so silly because we never seem to get ahead, that I have been snappy and neglecting of my children.

So this week, my home with be singing along with beautiful little voices and laughing great big laughs with them also.

Taking care of the home is really important, but it is also extremely important to sit back and relish in the blessings which God has so graciously given you. There will always be something else to do, but there won't always be two little boys wanting to spend time with their mama.

A couple times this weekend, I paused and looked at just how fast my kids are growing. Pretty soon they won't want to be around their mom or need their mom. In some ways this breaks my heart (actually in a lot of ways), but in some ways (not as many! :)) it excites me. I cannot wait to see the fruits of my labor developing. The hard work I have put into their character and behavior. I know that the "independent" and teen years are coming but as I look towards the Lord, an excitement is turning inside of me because He knows what will come.

However, I am constantly telling Dylan "don't grow up too fast. Stay your age while you can." and I have to constantly remind myself not to wish these days away. To be content with the banana handprints on the couch, I can't always get off, or the juice stains in the carpet. Don't yearn for the day that they can make their own beds because when that day comes, a lot of other thing will be lost also. So don't wish away today waiting for tomorrow. Train them today in the ways of the Lord and delight in every moment.

Proverbs 22:6 Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

5 comments:

Debbie said...

Awww - that's good too. It's so easy to assume the "Martha" role as mom - stuff HAS to get done sometimes and we are the ones who usually HAVE to do it. But Jesus blesses the "Mary" in us mothers with special blessings - and that's ultimately what fuels the necessary work of our days. Great thoughts. Enjoy your kids!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to comment on your remark about the "independent and teen years coming." It makes me sad when moms who enjoy their young children buy into the worldly (can't find it in Scripture anywhere) idea that teenagers have to be rebellious and difficult. It is NOT true. You AND your children can enjoy their teen years as much, or even more, as you have enjoyed the rest of their lives. My sons were raised hearing that what the world says about teenagers is not true, and they did not have to rebel, or view us as the enemy. And you know what? They didn't! We have a great relationship with the two older ones (25 and 22) and we are totally enjoying the one who is still a "teenager." We have one more approaching teen years and we are looking forward to watching her grow into a lovely young lady. God bless you and your little ones! In His Love, Karen:-)

momstheword said...

Yes, enjoy them now because they will be big all to soon. But like Karen said, you can enjoy their teen years too.

If, through their teen years, you raise them with boundaries and behavioral expectations as you do when they're little, then they don't have to rebel. If you expect them to be responsible for their behavior and their actions (and there are consequences if thy don't), then they will be.

I still have moments where I set aside cleaning, etc., to spend time with my kids, even at 16 and 20.

Like for instance, after he gets done with college and before he goes to work today, my 20 year old son wants me to meet him at Costco, so I'm going to!

Thank you for linking up today and enjoy those kids!

Erin said...

I'm right there with Karen and Momstheword...if you raise them with love and respect, you will receive love and respect, even when you have teenagers (okay, not always...after all, they ARE teenagers!). I love being with all my children.

Having said all that, the housework will always be there and the kids love time with Mom!

Jhona O. said...

I so needed to read this and what these sweet ladies had to say. I have been uber focused on my family coming and running around like a crazy lady making sure this and that is perfect and in order. Time to slow down and ENJOY what I'm doing WITH my kiddos.